The Arturia MicroFreak Vocoder Edition takes the best of both analog and digital worlds to create desirable, clear vocoder performances. With three carrier waveforms, a 16-band engine, and frequency and bandwidth controls, you should expect the unexpected when experimenting with this instrument. Also included with the vocoder unit is an electret mic with a gooseneck and headphone adapter, as well as a power supply. Over 256 preset slots and 224 factory presets give the artist plenty of room to begin playing around with the device. Distinctive sound design choices, combined with equally distinct voice modulators, create truly diverse results.
The vocoder has undoubtedly played a key role in electronic music. Its iconic robotic character comes from a complicated process of combining two signals simultaneously. This process actually dates back to the 1930s. Amazingly, it still survives in much of today’s electronic music, standing the test of time with its futuristic and technological qualities.
Arturia MicroFreak Vocoder Edition Hybrid Synthesizer
Hybrid synthesizers such as the MicroFreak get their name from the process of combining analog and digital components. Since the 1970s, these instruments have developed into a variety of forms. Generally though, they work to provide more extensive control abilities and effect options than their true analog counterparts. The Arturia MicroFreak Vocoder’s hybrid synthesis comes from its combination of digital oscillators with true analog filters, which tend to give a warmer and more desirable sound.
Arturia MicroFreak Vocoder Edition Main Features
- 14 Digital oscillator with variable mode, including Mutable Instruments Plaits engines and new Vocoder mode
- Analog State, Variable Filter, 12dB/octave, resonant, Low Pass, Band Pass, High Pass
- ASDR envelope
- LFO with Sync: Sine, Tri, Saw, Square, Random, Slew Random
- 64-step sequencer
- Powerful arpeggiator
- Chord Mode lets you program a chord shape and play it on any note
- Scale Quantize lets you set a specific scale for the white notes to simplify the creative process
- Modulation matrix with 5 sources and 7 destinations (3 custom destinations)
- Monophonic or Paraphonic modes – up to 4 voices
- 25-key capacitive keybed with polyphonic aftertouch
- Capacitive touch strip
- Cycling Envelope offering two modes: Envelope and LFO
- Crisp OLED display for editing and parameter values
- CV / Gate / Mod outputs
- USB, Clock and MIDI in and out
- 6.35mm master and 3.5mm headphone output
Pricing and Availability
The Arturia MicroFreak Vocoder Edition is now available for $399. We encourage you to read more about this incredible vocoder and synth on Arturia’s website.
Already own MicroFreak?
Update your firmware to V2.1 to enjoy the new Vocoder feature, presets and TRRS connectivity on your MicroFreak.